I know… on a Tuesday (again). I can explain.

We just spent a week nesting in and another digging out.

Eryn brought home a terrible virus and then proceeded to give it to everyone. One at a time. So thankfully we all got to take turns with 48 hours of high fevers and that special, flu-y feeling — instead of everyone getting hit at the same time. It just took two weeks to get the virus out of the house.

photo 2 (5)

The artist as a young girl. Taking pictures with a desk lamp.

I just don’t understand how kids can just keep going when they’re sick. Don’t get me wrong. Alhamdulillah for sick kids who are generally happy and energetic. But there was one day when I was literally passing out on the floor, hoping Ivy wouldn’t swallow a piece of LEGO while I soldiered through shakes and body aches. And yet, both she and Eryn played and played and played (and demanded I played too). I don’t know how they do it. All I wanted was my bed.

photo 5 (3)

The baby dragon slayer rockin’ her tattoo.

We kept busy by having dance parties and playing a lot of make-believe school, make-believe doctor, and make-believe faeries. Eryn LOVES turning me into pretend slugs and frogs.

So I took the opportunity of being cooped up to introduce Eryn to Kiki’s Delivery Service. It’s a fantastic piece of anime about an intrepid teenaged witch who saves the day and the “prince.” She loved it — and now flies around on a broom, instead of fluttering like a faerie slaying dragons. Eryn also got to watch Downton Abbey.

Lucky me, the girl takes after my heart and can sit through British drama period pieces with rapt attention.

Ivy on the other hand is getting into everything. She’s cruising now and I can’t leave her alone for two seconds before she’s emptying dresser drawers, destroying tissue boxes, or tipping over the plants.

photo 4 (2)

Is it just me, or does the new Doctor Who logo look like “Allah” in Arabic calligraphy?

One day when Eryn and I were busy making roti, Ivy surprised me by grabbing a handful of soil. As I scooped her up before she could get any in her mouth, I said some half-dua’a-half-swear like, “Oh dear God in heaven, save us!”

Then while I was muttering away in the bathroom washing Ivy’s hands and mouth, Eryn called out to me, “Ask him!”

Ask who?
Ask Allah what?
I’ll ask Allah to save us!
(grinning) Ok, go ask…
He says OK!

Glad to know she has God on speed dial.

photo 3 (4)

Beach bound insha’Allah!

In other news, I have an exciting blog series coming down the pipeline — which I’m hoping to share with all of you by the end of this week. I won’t say much for now, but I’ve been speaking with some truly amazing people about the current, some would say “crisis,” affecting our mosques today. I’m on pins and needles and can’t wait to pull it all together! And then I’ll be hosting another giveaway.

It’s going to be a busy month.