It’s just after taraweeh prayers — and I should be sleeping, but jet lag has my wheels spinning, and no doubt I’ll be up way past fajr again. Surprise! We’re in Kuwait.


Flying over a marine channel in the middle of the desert.

The Hubby came home from his stint in the UK and before he could take a breath, we were off to spend the rest of Ramadan with his family. But not before missing our flight due to delays and spending an extra 24 hours in Washington.

This isn’t the first time it’s happened. Two years ago delays allowed us to spend the day checking out main monuments and points of interest in the city. And I must say, the White House looks a LOT bigger in the movies.


Main entrance, women’s entrance and basement.

Since it was Friday, we spent most of the day getting to and from the mosque. We went to the beautifully constructed, Islamic Center — a surprising sight in-between an eclectic collection of embassies. After walking through the main entrance and courtyard, Ivy and I were soon directed to the women’s section. I missed the entrance at first because the stairs led down toward toilet facilities and I naively thought there was no way such a nice looking mosque would send women underground. Instead, I took the stairs up at the back of the mosque and met a locked door. So, down to the toilets I went.

The women’s section is nice enough. Spacious and has two big screen TVs with an excellent speaker system (hey wow! What fantastic selling points)! But what won me over was a coincidental meeting.

After the prayer I looked up to see a woman in a black abaya staring and smiling at me. So I walked over, greeted her and we started talking. She was moved by the diversity in cultures at the mosque and was blown away when I told her I was Canadian. She was en route from Kuwait to Canada, just stopping off in Washington to visit her sick father. Funny how two travellers coming and going from the same countries were able to bump into each other, share a laugh, a hug and salaams.


Obligatory Ramadan food picture

With some serious lucky children sleeping through most of the flight and 14 hours later, we arrived just in time for break fast. And then almost immediately were thrown into some early Girgian celebrations. Which from what I’ve seen thus far, include cheesy remixed 80’s music, magicians and lots of carnival fun for kids.


Fancy a midnight carnival ride?

Tomorrow we’re invited to some more events for children. So far even though I’ve made it to the mosque, hear the adhaan five times a day and listen to Qur’an almost non-stop — it feels more like a huge party and less like what Ramadan is “supposed” to feel like. Though, I’m sure that will end once the jet lag stops thwarting my attempts to get up before noon.

I’m looking forward to discovering the spirit of Ramadan here as well.